Thursday, September 16, 2010

52 - Homework

Homework

Niko, who routinely gets two pages of homework a day, has been experimenting with how to do it. We've tried the bland "at the kitchen table" method. We've tried the refreshing "on the front porch with a TV tray" method. But the method he likes the best is the "snuggled into my bean bag chair in my room writing on my lap" method. Probably not the one his sweet teacher would recommend. I can hardly stand these glimpses of his teen years -- stubbornly insisting that laying down in bed IS the best way to study for biology, or that he CAN do algebra with the television on. But for now, I am happy that he seems to enjoy carefully scratching out his capital and lowercase letters, disproportionate though they often are. I love watching him slowly come out of infancy and childhood and into personhood. The word "blossom" is so overused that one hardly considers the imagery that is so perfect -- the small, closed, plain-green bud that slowly grows and opens to allow the emergence of a vibrant, unique flower. I enjoy watching him blossom through all of these little experiences and stages. What a blessing motherhood is!

1 comment:

  1. such a sweet picture of Niko! Seems like he's enjoying kindergarten.

    ReplyDelete